If you are looking for a complete guide on Instagram Reels transitions, then this article is for you! If you've decided to take your Instagram Reels to the next level with creative transitions, you're in the right place! Today, I'm sharing seven of my favorite Instagram Reels transitions and how to achieve them. Some of these transitions will be easier than others, but they can all be done without any fancy editing equipment! What I love most about these transitions is that you don't have to rely on the Instagram app or any special effects to create them. These Instagram Reel transitions can also be done on TikTok or any video content you create.
I'm passionate about creating fun and engaging video content and I can't wait to share these Instagram Reel transitions with you. Lets do this!
instagram reel transitions
1) Hand to the camera
I like to call the first Instagram Reel transitionhand to camera🇧🇷 Here is the breakdown of the transition:
- First, you'll record a clip of yourself or some scene, then bring your hand close to the camera lens.
- Then something about the scene will change. It could be your outfit, the location, really anything.
- Once you've made the change, you'll start the clip by placing your hand on the camera/lens and slowly removing your hand from the focal point of the shot, then show what you want to show in that clip.
- By editing this transition, you'll bring the two clips together and remove any extra space between the clips that might slow down the transition.
watch this short videoabout ithand to cameratransition.
2) Jump and land
The next Instagram Reel transition is thejump and land🇧🇷 This transition is fun and easy. You can use this transition in many scenarios, and it's popular in travel videos. Here is the breakdown of the transition:
- Will use a point of view perspective when filming
- The first step is to shoot your feet/bottom in a jumping motion. That said, you are shooting as you jump.
- After filming the first jump, you will change locations and film the second jump.
- When editing this, you need to edit the transition so that once you take off at the first jump, you land at the second location.
watch this short videoabout itjump and landtransition.
3) Adjust and change
The third Instagram Reel transition is thefit and change🇧🇷 This is a really fun transition that can be used in travel videos and even fashion videos. You can use this method on any video where you want to show a change. Here is the breakdown of the transition:
- First, put your phone/camera on a tripod or have someone else hold the camera.
- The next step is to film yourself snapping.
- Once you've done that, go ahead and make your change (location, clothing, food, etc.)
- So go ahead and record yourself again. Be sure to position yourself similarly to help the transition look more seamless.
- When editing, all you really need to do is remove the extra space at the beginning and end of clips.
Look at this videoabout itadjust and changetransition.
4) Straight line mask
Straight line mask transition can be as easy or complicated as you want. I'll focus mainly on the easy version, but I'll also provide a little more detail for anyone looking to bring their editing into Photoshop. This transition is a little difficult to explain via text, but essentially the clip would start with some sort of movement (like someone walking) and then either they or the camera would pass through some sort of structure that would look like a straight line (think tree or pillar ). The straight line must go from the top of the screen to the bottom for this to work. As soon as you get past this straight line structure the next scene will start, but for this to work you need to start with a straight line that matches the previous clip.
You can get super creative with this one so you can take it to the next level and edit it in Premiere.
Here is the breakdown of the transition:
- Plan to shoot some sort of movement around a structure such as a tree, pillar or brick wall. You'll need to match the beginning of the next clip with a similar or matching structure.
- Film the movement and end the clip with this structure.
- Record the next clip starting with a similar structure, but the content of the clip must be different (such as a different location or movement/action).
- When editing, you want to match the clips so that the first one ends with the structure and the next one starts with the same or similar structure. The goal is to make it look like the same structure.
- In Premiere, you can use the mask tool to make this more effective. You can also use transition effects in Premiere like Wipe or Blur to make the transition smoother.
5) sky to sky
Sky to Sky transition is easy and fun to use. Essentially, you'll create a clip that ends up showing the sky. The next slide will start with the sky. The only constant in this transition is the sky, and the two scenes themselves (moving to/from the sky) must be different. Here is the breakdown of the transition:
- The first step is to start shooting your scene (it can literally be anything) and then pan across the sky.
- Start shooting your next clip by starting in the sky and then descending into the scene.
- The trick here is to make sure the parts of the sky they are traveling to/from are similar. This will help make the transition much smoother.
- When editing, you can trim the end of the first clip and the beginning of the next clip for a smoother transition.
6) Darkening and Darkening
Losdarken and darkenTransition is another fun and easy Instagram Reel transition to try out. This transition will start with some scene and then transition to something dark (like a table or shirt) and the next scene will start with that same dark object and then transition to scene.
Here is the breakdown of the transition:
- To create this Instagram Reel transition, start by shooting a scene (again, it could be anything depending on your niche). Once you've done that, move on to some dark object.
- For the next clip, start recording on the same dark object, then rotate (out, up, or down) to show the larger scene.
- You want to make sure the "dark object" you shoot looks the same in both clips for this to work.
- When it comes to editing, you can trim part of the end of the first clip and the beginning of the next clip to speed up the transition.
7) Slide the camera
The camera slide is a really fun transition that you can use for literally any niche. You can do really creative things with in-camera transitions. Usually this type of transition will be used to show a process or different clips related to a theme. You can also get creative and swipe in any direction. Here is the breakdown of the transition:
- Start by shooting the subject you are focusing on for a few seconds.
- Once you've done that, quickly swipe in any direction you choose.
- You can also mix and match the Instagram Reel transitions in this article and use a fade in and fade out to complete the transition. So, for example, when swiping, you can swipe to the side of a table if you're recording a cooking video, and then start the next video by swiping to the side of the table.
- When editing, you can cut from the end of the first clip and the beginning of the second clip to speed up the transition.
Look at this videoabout itslide the cameratransition.
Seven Tips for Creating Instagram Reel Transitions
Here are seven tips to help you create Instagram Reel transitions:
1. Plan your Instagram Reels transitions in advance
To create the best video possible, I always recommend planning your shoot in advance. Whether you use a spreadsheet for planning or prefer a pen and paper, this will help you stay organized.
2. Plan accessories/equipment and configure them in advance
It's also important to plan ahead for what you'll need to transition your video or Instagram Reel. The last thing you want is to arrive at the day you're shooting and not have what you need. Trust me, I've been there, I've done that!
3. Practice Instagram transitions as much as possible
The more you practice with Instagram Reel transitions, the better you'll get! Remember to try to have fun with it. The goal behind all of this is creativity, so have fun with your video practice!
4. Mix and match clips for more creativity in your Instagram transitions
As mentioned in the seventh transition idea, you can absolutely mix and match multiple transitions to create even more engaging content. In fact, I highly recommend it! Have fun and try new things when creating your video content.
5. Don't be afraid to get technical and use a video editor
Time and again, I hear people cringe when the possibility of needing to use video editing software arises. Once you get used to using video editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro, it comes naturally. There are so many tutorials out there, so don't be afraid to learn a new skill and improve your video editing.
6. You may need to take multiple shots to get the right cut.
Some of these transitions may require a few takes to get right. This is just the reality of creating and editing amazing video content. Try not to get discouraged as you practice your Instagram Reels transitions!
7. Take your time – work harder to create original content
I'd rather create one awesome, inspiring video a week or month than five videos a week or month. If you want to spend more time on content to make it higher quality, give yourself permission to do so. Not only are you creating content that can have a positive impact on someone, but you're also leveling up and learning new skills, which is awesome.
Pay special attention to these details to master Instagram Reels transitions:
When it comes to mastering Instagram Reels transitions, there are a few details to pay special attention to:
1. Know where to place the cut for the Instagram Reel transition
A big part of knowing where to place the cut comes with practice. Basically, this means knowing when to start and end a clip, and also knowing when a clip is too long. Sometimes a clip is too long and needs to be trimmed. Making your videos shorter and more engaging can be extremely beneficial.
2. What audio do you want to use in advance?
You might want to edit a video with specific music, so if you want the music and video to align, it's important to identify the music from the beginning. That way, you can record your video content to match the music.
3. Make sure you shoot Instagram video vertically
I know this might sound obvious, but we all do it from time to time! There's nothing worse than capturing amazing content and realizing it's not the right ratio for social media.
My Favorite Tools & Resources for Creating Instagram Coil Transitions
One of my favorite tools for creating Instagram Reels transitions is Premiere Pro! I've been using this tool for years and I'm a huge fan.
I hope this article has inspired you to get more creative with your Instagram Reel transitions. There are truly endless opportunities for creativity when creating video content. If you have any questions, please let me know in the comments.
Interested in learning more? See these articles:
Reel Ideas for Photographers – 30 of the Best Instagram Reel Ideas
The best colorful background ideas for your next video
The next two tabs change the content below.
- latest posts
Morgan is a renowned video marketing expert and content creator. He also runs a video production company and is passionate about teaching everything about video.
Morgan's latest posts(see it all)
- Are circle lights good for product photography?- November 30, 2022
- 12 tips for vlogging with your phone- November 12, 2022
- The Ultimate Guide: How Long Does It Take to Get Views on YouTube?- October 26, 2022
How do you make good transitions for Instagram reels? ›
Here is how to add Instagram Reels transition effects:
Tap “Effects” on the left or right side of your screen. Tap “Reels” Choose a transition effect. Record your video.
Transitions are “effects” that you can add to transition from one clip to another. Instagram has a lot of “transition effects” in their Effects Library. But this new feature is different. You can easily add transitions between your clips while you edit your Reels.How do you get 1000 views on Instagram reel? ›
Remember you have to post at a specific time, engage with your audience, follow the trends and add 6-10 hashtags. These will increase the visibility of your posts, and soon you will be able to hit the milestone of getting 1000 views on Instagram.How do you make a good transition video? ›
- Basic cut. The most basic transition when video editing is a simple cut. ...
- Whip-pan. The whip-pan is a great way to transition from one shot to another in a quick and easy flow. ...
- J-cut. ...
- Jump-cut. ...
- Match-cut. ...
- Shake. ...
- Blocks or Covers.
According to research from Influencer Marketing Hub and Neil Schaffer, a social media marketing expert, you could expect to earn: $10 – $100 for 1000 to 10,000 followers. $250 – $750 per 1000 engagements (or $0.25 – $0.75 per post engagement).What happens if you get 1 million views on reels? ›
However, Instagram seems to have been reducing the payout amount because the same creator only had to hit 1 million plays to earn the same amount of bonus. During the initial rollout, payouts ranged from $600 to $35,000 depending on how many views the Reel generated.How much does Instagram pay for 1k reels views? ›
If you have followers between 5k-10k, you can earn an average of ₹6,500/-. This amount changes based on the number of followers, reach, and engagement.What are the 3 keys for effective transitions? ›
Language, practice and predictable expectations, and transition items are key ingredients for every successful transition.What are 5 transition words? ›
and, again, and then, besides, equally important, finally, further, furthermore, nor, too, next, lastly, what's more, moreover, in addition, first (second, etc.)What are the 3 types of transitions? ›
In this paragraph about teacher professional development, we can see three kinds of transitions: repetition of key words, implicit phrases, and sentence structure.
How do you smooth transition between scenes? ›
The last line of the previous scene should set up the first line of the next scene. Pay attention to how you end your scenes it will help propel your next scene forward. If you are jumping between storylines go back to the last scene of the previous storyline to help you with your transition.How do auto sync reels? ›
As the Highlight is playing, tap the three horizontal dots on the bottom right. This will open a menu of options. Select Convert to Reel. You'll be offered some suggested audio, which your clips will auto-sync to.Does Instagram pay you for reels? ›
Instagram Reels Play is an invite-only bonus program that lets you earn money on your reels content. If you are invited, you will receive a pop-up notification and an invite that appears within your professional dashboard in the Instagram app.How many views do you need to get paid on Instagram reels? ›
Instagram will pay out on Reels that get at least 1,000 views over a 30-day period. NOTE: The Reels Play bonus program is currently only available to select creators in the U.S. If it's not available to you yet, hold tight.How many likes on a reel is good? ›
1.5% may not seem like much, but most social media marketing experts agree that between 1-5% is a good engagement rate. The more followers you have, the harder it's likely to be to achieve a decent engagement rate.Does rewatching a reel count as a view? ›
3️⃣ Instagram + IGTV: a view is counted after a video autoplays for 3 seconds (consecutively). What's more, replays don't count—i.e., the same viewer watching a video over-and-over (or at least 3-second chunks of it).How many followers do I need to get paid for Reels? ›
Content creators with more than 10,000 followers, at least five videos, and 600,000 minutes of viewership in the past 60 days are eligible to embed ads in their Reels.How much money is 1 million views on Instagram? ›
According to USA Today, an influencer with 10,000 to 50,000 active fans can make a few thousand per post. Instagram influencers with up to 1 million followers can see $10,000 per post. Have over 1 million followers? You could charge $100,000 or more.Do you need 10k followers to get paid for Reels? ›
Getting ad money requires at least 10,000 followers, five (or more) Reels videos, and 600,000 minutes of viewership over the last 60 days. Whether you're eligible to place ads on your videos –or you just want to focus on Play Bonuses — those are all the ways you can get paid with Instagram Reels.How many followers do you need to get paid on Instagram? ›
Brands post campaigns you can participate in. Post a picture with the specified hashtags on Instagram and get paid. You need at least 700 engaged followers to be eligible.
How much does Reels bonus pay? ›
Introducing Reels Surprise, a bonus program where you can earn up to $20,000 for creating some of the most entertaining and engaging Reels on Instagram.How do you get transitions on iPhone? ›
If you have sensitivity to motion effects or screen movement on your iPhone, you can stop or reduce the movement of some screen elements, such as:
- Parallax effect of wallpaper, apps, and alerts.
- Screen transitions.
- Siri animations.
- Typing autocompletion.
- Animated effects in Messages.
Inshot is one of the most popular video transition effects apps available for Android and iOS users. It provides cinematic effects to bring an interesting vibe to videos. Once you've inserted a transition, you can modify the slide to change the duration.Which app is best for transition video editing? ›
- Adobe Premiere Rush.
- Vimeo Create.
Add slide transitions to bring your presentation to life
Select the slide you want to add a transition to. Select the Transitions tab and choose a transition. Select a transition to see a preview. Select Effect Options to choose the direction and nature of the transition.
- Select the slide you want to add a transition to.
- Select the Transitions tab and choose a transition. ...
- Select Effect Options to choose the direction and nature of the transition. ...
- Select Preview to see what the transition looks like.