Several documents need to be collected to apply for a Schengen visa. If you submit all the correct documents as instructed by the embassy or visa center, you are more likely to get a Schengen visa without any problems. So, pay attention to the document checklist below and how to prepare your documents for Nigerian Schengen visa application.
What documents do I need for a Nigerian Schengen visa?
You need to prepare these documents for Nigeria Schengen visa:
- application form. You must fill in the Schengen visa application form with all the necessary information and data. You can usually find a copy of the form on any visa center or embassies website in Nigeria, download the form, fill it and sign it.
- Your Nigerian passport (original and copy).You must provide your original Nigerian passport together with a copy of your passport, which must be valid for three months from the date of exit from the Schengen area. Your passport must also contain two blank pages and must have been issued within the last 10 years.
- identity photos. You must send two photos for ID cards afterSchengen visa photo guidelines; photos must be taken within the last six months. Please note that the number of photos varies depending on the country where you are applying for a Schengen visa.
- certificate of marital status. Submit marital status documents such as birth certificate, marriage certificate, family certificate or death certificate (if applicable).
- Proof of accommodation. You must provide proof of hotel reservations/reservations, Airbnb reservations, or proof that you will be staying with a family member or friend.
- Return flight itinerary. Flight booking from Nigeria to EU and vice versa. If you are traveling on domestic flights, you will need to include these tickets as well.
- travel health insurance. You must also attach a certificate of travel health insurance that meets the requirements.Requirements of the Schengen Travel Insurance Guidelines. Do you need health insurance fromEUR 30,000 (equivalent to ₦14,031,621.24 in January 2023)for any unexpected illness or injury.
- Proof of visa fee paid. You must also attach a certificate proving that you have paid the required visa fee; otherwise your application will not be processed.
- Presentation letter. You may also be required to submit a cover letter for your Nigeria Schengen visa application. The cover letter should contain information about why you are applying for a visa, what you plan to do during your stay, how long you will stay in the Schengen area, etc.
- Copies of previous Schengen visas (if applicable). If you obtained a Schengen visa before applying for a new visa, you must send copies of previous authorizations.
- Birth certificate and proof of parental consent (if any). In cases where minors are applying for a Schengen visa, the application package must also include their birth certificate and parental consent to travel if they are traveling alone or with only one parent/legal guardian. Please note that for minors, the application form must be signed by both parents/legal guardians (one is acceptable if there are extenuating circumstances).
- Proof of sufficient financial resources. To get a Schengen visa, you must submit original copies of your bank statements showing transactions for the last three to six months and your account balance or proof of regular income. Depending on your employment status, you may also need to submit the following documents:
- If employed:
- Employment contract and annual leave certificate from the employer.
- If you are self-employed/freelancer:
- Commercial license (if applicable).
- Business bank statements.
- I am a student:
- Certificate of enrollment at a university, school or college.
- Your student ID card, a copy of your college enrollment certificate signed and certified by the university, and your grade.
- Proof of your parents' financial stability.
- Proof of an employment contract or proof of sufficient financial means for your stay.
- If you are retired:
- Bank statement confirming the pension received in the last six months.
- If employed:
>>How and where to apply for a Schengen visa in Nigeria?
What are the supporting documents required for different types of Nigerian Schengen visa?
Short-term Schengen visas in Nigeria are issued for different purposes and depending on your application, you need to submit additional documents.
For a visitor visa
If a friend or relative invites you to visit them in any Schengen country, you must attach the following documents to your application:
- Invitation letter.You must send an invitation letter from a friend or family member inviting you to visit them. Your host or guest must write a letter detailing your relationship and reasons for visiting; they must sign the letter and provide personal information such as their full name, address and contact information. In the letter, your host must also state that they will cover your expenses.
- Warranty form.Some embassies may ask you to submit a completed guarantee form that the embassy will provide to you. Your host must complete the form, sign it and submit it so that you can send it with the other documents. Depending on the country, you will find different names for the form, such as "statement of responsibility", "statement of commitment", etc.
- Your host's passport.Your host should also provide their passport number and, if necessary, a copy of their passport.
- Proof of your host's residence permit (if applicable).If your host lives in the Schengen area with a permanent residence permit, you may need to send a copy of the permit.
- Accommodation check.If you are staying with a host during their visit, some embassies may require them to show proof of rental or property ownership to verify your accommodation.
For a tourist visa
Nigerian passport holders wishing to visit Schengen/EU countries as tourists should apply for a short-term tourist visa. additionaldocuments required for obtaining a Schengen visa for tourist purposesthey are:
- Bank statement.Preferably in the last 6 months.
- Statement of support.If you do not have a bank account or do not have sufficient funds to cover your expenses during this trip, you must ask visiting friends or relatives to sign an "official declaration of support" at the appropriate office in your place of residence. When applying for a visa, be sure to bring the original document with you.
- Travel itinerary.Description of the applicant's trip, the purpose of the trip, time period and all personal data specified in the letter, as well ashotel reservationsor oneformal invitation letterresidents of the Schengen country.
For a medical visa
When applying for a Schengen medical visa for Nigeria, you must also prepare the following documents:
- Medical certificate and copy.You must provide a medical certificate from your doctor or hospital in Nigeria proving that you need to seek medical care in a Schengen country. The certificate must be in English or one of the corresponding languages of the Schengen country.
- Medical certificate and copy.You must send a medical certificate from your doctor or hospital to your destination, Schengen. Also, it would be better if you have a confirmation of the appointment and the expected duration of the treatment.
- Proof of financial resources.If any of the costs have already been paid, you must provide proof of payment from a doctor/hospital in the Schengen country. If someone else is paying for your treatment, you must provide official proof of financial sponsorship. If you have the funds to cover your medical expenses, your bank balance must reflect this.
For a business visa
You must send a detailed invitation letter from your host or the company you will be working with. The letter should include information about who invited you, including business details such as how long you have been together, the purpose of the business trip, how long the trip will take, who will be financially responsible, etc.
For a journalist visa
If you are visiting the Schengen area for journalistic activities or work related to journalism, you will also need the following documents:
- Employer/client confirmation or postal letter detailing the nature of the press trip.
- Invitation letter (if any).
- Press card.
For a cultural exchange visa
Depending on why you are visiting the Schengen area for cultural exchange, you need to present the following documents:
- For artistic activities (musicians, writers, etc.) cultural and educational:
- A written request or invitation from the company/organization.
- For participants of sports activities:
- Additional health insurance for sports activities.
- Photocopies of all pages of the identity card of the sports association.
- Invitation letter from the organizing club or association in the Schengen country of destination.
- Letter of delegation from the sending organization or sports association/club in Nigeria.
- Proof of payment of the sports event fee (if applicable).
- For professional visitors and exhibitors:
- Ticket to the fair (if available).
- Documentation and copy of fairs and exhibitions.
- Confirmation of the fair organizer (if any).
- For religious activities:
- Invitation letter (if any).
- Information about the event (detailed program itinerary, length of stay, reason for the event and your participation, etc.)
- For the film crew:
- A letter from the film's production company, including filming locations, a synopsis of the film and the title.
- Letter from the film agency of the destination Schengen country.
- List all crew members traveling to the Schengen area.
- Certificate of registration as a film crew.
- For practice:
- Invitation letter and sponsorship and copy.
- Internship contract and copy.
Other purposes of travel
If the purpose of your visa is different from any of the above, you will need to collect the additional documents listed below, depending on the purpose of your trip to Europe.
When traveling from Nigeria to Europe for study purposes
additionaldocuments required to obtain a Schengen student visathey are:
- Two application forms instead of one.
- EU university/college/school acceptance letter.
- Proof of financial resources. Documents proving the ability to stay and provide financial support during the stay in the Schengen area.
When traveling from Nigeria to Europe for employment purposes
additionaldocuments required to obtain a Schengen work visathey are:
- Two application forms instead of one.
- Contract of employment. Agreement between the applicant and the future employer residing in the Schengen area.
When you travel from Nigeria to Europe to join your EU resident spouse
Additional documents required to obtain a Schengen visa to join a spouse residing in the EU are:
- Two application forms instead of one.
- The original certified copy of the marriage certificate.
- A copy of your spouse's passport, if you are a citizen of the European Union. If the spouse is not an EU citizen, but only lives in a Schengen country, a copy of their residence permit must also be presented.
When traveling from Nigeria to Europe for the purpose of attending cultural, sporting or religious events in Europe
additionaldocuments required to obtain a Schengen visa for cultural, sports or religious eventsthey are:
- Event information.i.e. invitation letters, tickets, application conditions, detailed program and other documents that provide relevant information about the event.
- Proof of past performances.Participation in previous festivals and ceremonies (cultural, religious), sports competitions, winners' certificates, world/international classification test (sport).
How can I organize my Schengen visa documents?
There is no set way to organize documents for a Schengen visa - all embassies have different requirements. Some may ask you to organize your documents starting with the application form and then your passport, while others may ask you to organize your documents in no particular order. However, some other embassies may ask you to upload your passport and ID photos first and then the application form. If there are no specific instructions from your application center or embassy, make sure you areallnecessary documents and arrange them logically.
Do I need to translate my documents?
If you have a document issued in the Nigerian language, for example your employment contract or medical certificate, it must be in English or one of the corresponding languages of the Schengen country. All translated documents must be legalized or certified with an Apostille stamp in order to be valid for submission.
Do I need to send original documents?
Most embassies in Nigeria will ask you to send original copies of your documents. For the passport, you must present the original travel document with a photocopy, while for other documents (marriage certificate, family certificate, etc.) some embassies may ask for certified copies.
Do I need to submit my biometric data?
Yes, you must submit your fingerprints at the embassy/consulate/visa center on the day of your visa interview. Ten fingerprints will be required (if applicable) and stored in the VIS (Schengen Visa Information System). However, you only need to submit your biometrics if this is your first visa application or if it has been five years since you last submitted your fingerprints.
observing:Children under the age of 12 do not have to submit their biometric data.
Do I need to submit my biometric data again if my Schengen visa is rejected?
Generally, you must submit your fingerprints again if your first visa application is rejected and you are applying for a new visa. This means you have to visit a visa center or embassy to submit your biometrics.
Can I apply for a Schengen visa to Nigeria without a passport?
You must submit a valid Schengen application with your passport. If, for any reason, you do not have a passport at the time of application, for example your passport expires, is lost or damaged, you will need to apply for a new passport in time to apply for a Schengen visa.
Can I merge my documents?
If the embassy or consulate where you apply for a Schengen visa does not specifically mention merging your documents, do not do it. You may use staples to separate or attach any additional documents, but do not staple or glue them together unless specifically requested.
Is a purchased flight ticket a requirement for a Nigerian Schengen visa?
A return air ticket proves that you have planned to return to Nigeria and will not be extending your visa. But you can also include a flight or itinerary. The itinerary should include details of flight date, flight name, your name, airline, flight reservation number etc. whether your visa has been issued or not.
Will the embassy return my documents if my Schengen visa application is rejected?
Some embassies in Nigeria will return your passport along with the other documents you submitted if your Nigerian Schengen visa application is rejected. Other embassies can only return your passport, but not other documents. In any case, if you want to apply for a Schengen visa again, you will have to collect the necessary documents from the beginning, because the documents you have already submitted will no longer be valid (eg bank statements, travel insurance certificate, etc. .).
Will my Schengen visa be refused if I forget the document?
If you forget important documents such as a travel insurance certificate or a photo ID, your visa may be refused immediately. However, some embassies and visa centers in Nigeria may ask you to reapply with complete documentation without refusing your visa - it depends on the embassy and the document you forgot.
Does the Embassy check the authenticity of my documents?
Embassies and consulates will verify that your documents are authentic and issued by official institutions in Nigeria. If for any reason the embassy or consulate suspects that you have provided false documents, your visa application will be rejected.
What documents are required to apply for a multiple-entry Schengen visa?
If you wish to apply for a multiple entry Schengen visa from Nigeria, you may need to submit additional documents showing why you need a multiple entry visa - if possible. In addition, you may be required to provide proof of this in a visa application cover letter. Otherwise, the other necessary documents you need remain the same as for a single or double entry Schengen visa.
Can someone else upload my documents?
It is mandatory that you submit your documents only on the day of your Schengen visa appointment, as you must submit your biometric data. But in an emergency, you cannot physically visit the embassy or visa center; you can authorize someone else to apply on your behalf - provided you have already provided your fingerprints for a previous Schengen visa application. In that case, it is necessary to prepare a written power of attorney with your signature or give a power of attorney so that the person is officially authorized to send you the documents. Please note that you may need to certify your visa application.
Can the EU Embassy/Consulate in Nigeria ask me for additional documents?
Yes, embassies and visa centers in Nigeria may ask you to submit additional documents that are not included in the checklist. This is because the document checklist is a general guideline and cannot take into account individual circumstances. If this happens to you, it does not automatically mean that the embassy will reject your application; they just need an additional document to fully process it.
What other documents do I need at the Schengen external borders in addition to my Schengen visa travel document?
If you get a Nigerian Schengen visa, it will not automatically allow you to enter the Schengen area. At the border, the official authorities may ask you for additional documentation in addition to your visa and passport. For example, they may ask you to provide evidence that you have enough money to stay in the Schengen country. This is why most embassies recommend that you carry a copy of the initial visa documents you submitted.
What documents do Nigerian citizens need to extend their Schengen visa?
Once you have received your Schengen visa for Nigeria, you can enter the Schengen area and remain subject to the visa validity conditions. But, if for some unavoidable reasons (personal circumstances, force majeure, etc.) you have to extend your stay, you must apply forExtension of Schengen visa, for which you need to prepare a list of documents:
- Your passport.
- Application form for the extension of a short-term stay visa.
- Photo for ID card.
- Proof of sufficient funds to cover your extended stay in the Schengen area.
- Travel health insurance covers your extended stay.
- All documents detailing why you need to extend your Schengen visa.
Did you find this page useful?
Yes, Nigerian passport holders must obtain a Schengen visa to enter any European country in the Schengen Zone.What are the requirements for Schengen visa for Nigeria? ›
- Application form. ...
- Your Nigerian passport (original plus a copy). ...
- Identity photographs. ...
- Civil status certificate. ...
- Proof of accommodation. ...
- Round-trip Flight Itinerary. ...
- Travel health insurance. ...
- Proof of paid visa fee.
You need at least EUR 50 (equivalent to NGN 25,487.27)* per day in your bank account to obtain a Greek Schengen visa from Nigeria. If you plan to stay in the country for up to five days, the required amount is raised to EUR 300 (equivalent to NGN 152,923.65)* per day.How long does it take for Schengen visa to be approved in Nigeria? ›
Standard Schengen Visa Processing Times
The standard Schengen visa processing time is fifteen (15) calendar days. Your visa application will be processed within 15 days from the day that you submit your application. However, you should know that this period may be extended up to thirty (30) days.
When making travel plans to Schengen countries, it is important to consider the processing time for Schengen visas. Fastest Schengen Visa processing time: Less than 72 hours. Slowest Schengen Visa processing time: More than 15 days.Which Schengen visa is the easiest to get? ›
- Luxembourg – with a rejection rate as low as 1.2 percent out of total 2,383 Schengen visa applications received.
- Slovakia – 2.7 percent out of 3,886 applications.
- Lithuania – 2.8 percent out of 24,764 applications.
In general, Lithuania, Estonia, Latvia and Finland are the easiest countries to obtain a Schengen Visa from. Other Schengen countries such as Slovakia, the Czech Republic, and Luxembourg also had high approval rates over the years.How much money do you need in your bank account to get a tourist visa? ›
There is no minimum balance requirement for your bank account, however, based on the experience of others we recommend anywhere between $5,000 to $10,000 will be sufficient.Which Schengen visa is easiest to get from Nigeria? ›
- LITHUANIA. Lithuania a Northeastern European country is a coaster Baltic State and the largest of the three Baltic states. ...
- ESTONIA. ...
- FINLAND. ...
- ICELAND. ...
- STILL, ON 10 EASIEST SCHENGEN VISAS YOU CAN GET IN NIGERIA.
- LATVIA. ...
- POLAND. ...
It usually takes around two weeks or 15 days to process a Schengen Visa from the U.S.A.. It may - however - take as long as 30 or even 60 days in exceptional circumstances.
- Visa application form – completely filled with the required information. ...
- A valid passport or Travel document. ...
- US residence permit. ...
- Photo – taken within the last three months. ...
- A cover letter. ...
- Round-trip Flight Itinerary.
With a valid U.S. passport, you can stay up to 90 days for tourism or business during any 180-day period. Do not overstay! You must wait an additional 90 days before applying to re-enter the Schengen area. To stay longer than 90 days, you must have a visa.How much money is enough for Schengen visa? ›
Therefore, the amount of money your bank statement of the last 6 months must show varies by country. As a general rule, you should have at least 50-60 Euros in your account for each day you spend within the Schengen Area.Can I do Schengen visa online? ›
You must lodge the application for a Schengen visa at the Consulate of the country that you intend to visit, or – if you intend to visit more than one Schengen State, the Consulate of the country where you will spend the longest period.Can I get Schengen visa in 3 days? ›
You will have to wait at least 15 days for your Schengen Visa to be processed, though the processing time will depend on your case. In specific cases, embassies can take 30 days to process a visa, and the Schengen Visa processing time could even be as long as 60 days in extraordinary circumstances.Can I go to VFS without appointment for Schengen visa? ›
VFS Global will process your visa application without a pre-booked appointment.Can I apply for Schengen visa immediately? ›
The processing time for a Schengen visa is 15 calendar days according to the Schengen Visa Code. Please arrange your appointment to submit your application as early as possible. You may apply up to six months before the start of the intended visit.Which is the toughest country to get Schengen visa? ›
In fact, France has the largest share of rejected applications, after denying a visa to 128,672 applicants, out of the 652,331 applications its embassies worldwide received in the same year, or over 21 per cent of them.Is interview required for Schengen visa? ›
As soon as you have submitted your visa application form, you will be required to attend an interview with a visa officer at the consulate of the Schengen country.Which Schengen country has highest rejection rate? ›
Countries with highest rejection rate were Malta, Sweden, Belgium and France. The Schengen states with the lowest rejection rates were Iceland, Lithuania, Finland, and Latvia.
Svalbard tourist visa is free for Nigerian passport holders. Svalbard is part of Northern Europe, Europe with main city at Longyearbyen. Its Developed country with a population of 3K. The languages typically spoken are Norwegian and Russian.Which Schengen country has available appointments? ›
“To cater to the rising travel demand, a few of the popular Schengen destinations like Switzerland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and Slovenia have made appointments available ranging from the very next day to within a week,” the spokesperson said.How to get a one year Schengen visa? ›
1-year multiple-entry Schengen visa
You can obtain this visa provided that you have obtained and lawfully used three visas within the previous two years. When you apply for this visa, you will need to show proof of your previous visas and the trips you made to the Schengen Zone.
Travelers visiting the United States from a foreign country must be able to prove to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer that they have sufficient funds, i.e., credit card, cash, travelers' checks, money order to cover travel, lodging, entertainment, meals, etc. to be admitted into the United States.Can a US citizen sponsor a friend for a tourist visa? ›
Can a U.S. citizen sponsor a non-family member for immigration? Unfortunately, no, you can't petition for a foreign national's visa or green card if they aren't a family member.Can I get a U.S. bank account on a tourist visa? ›
A tourist or non-resident can open a bank account in the U.S. with the proper paperwork. While the process for opening an account varies by bank or credit union, many will accept alternative forms of I.D. to open an account.Is it hard to get Schengen visa? ›
Applying for a Schengen Visa in 2023 is not an easy task, as it has never been. There are lots of documents to be collected, an interview to be attended and even a fee to be paid, which right now is 33 per cent higher than it was before the pandemic.What is the best way to get Schengen visa? ›
- Figure Out Which Schengen Visa Type You Need. ...
- Find Out Where You Need to Apply. ...
- Find the Most Suitable Time to Apply. ...
- Book an Appointment. ...
- Fill Out the Visa Application Form. ...
- Gather the Required Documents. ...
- Attend the Visa Interview. ...
- Pay the Visa Fee.
Making your appointment
In order to make your appointment, you will need to go to the website of the embassy or consulate that you dealing with and use their online booking system and choose a convenient date and time for your appointment. If they do not have an online booking system, you can phone or email them.
Additionally, US green card holders need a Schengen visa to travel to Europe as the green card holders are nationals of third countries. Any US green card holder must apply for a Schengen visa to visit any Schengen state.
What Is the First Port of Entry for a Schengen Visa? The first port of entry for a Schengen visa is the country where you first enter the Schengen Area during your trip. This means that if you are coming from a non-Schengen country, the first Schengen country you enter is your first port of entry.Can a US citizen be denied entry back into the USA? ›
Citizens: You only have to answer questions establishing your identity and citizenship (in addition to customs-related questions). Refusal to answer other questions may cause delay, but officials may not deny you entry into the U.S. if you have established your identity and citizenship.Can Nigeria travel to Europe now? ›
Top countries for Nigerian passport holders
As a Nigerian passport holder, you have access to a wide range of countries in May 2023. These destinations include popular tourist destinations in Europe. Europe : Some of the top countries in Europe include Greece, Spain, Italy, Serbia and France.
You only need to apply for a Schengen visa as a tourist if you are a citizen of countries that don't have a visa liberalization agreement with the EU. The Schengen states have agreed on common rules for issuing short-stay Schengen visas, which are valid within the entire Schengen area.Which Europe country is visa free for Nigeria? ›
Svalbard tourist visa is free for Nigerian passport holders. Svalbard is part of Northern Europe, Europe with main city at Longyearbyen. Its Developed country with a population of 3K. The languages typically spoken are Norwegian and Russian.How can I go to Europe from Nigeria? ›
- Fly from Lagos (LOS) to Frankfurt (FRA) LOS - FRA.
- Take the train from Frankfurt to Fulda Bahnhof.
- Take the train from Fulda Bahnhof to Bebra Bahnhof.
- Antigua and Barbuda.
- Congo (Dem. Rep.)
The Government of Nigeria requires COVID-specific testing prior to arrival. A passport valid for six months, a visa, and proof of Polio and Yellow Fever vaccinations are required to enter Nigeria. You must obtain your Nigerian visa from a Nigerian embassy or consulate in advance of your travel.How long is Schengen visa valid? ›
The Schengen visa is a short stay visa and takes the form of a sticker affixed to the travel document. The definition of “short stay” is a stay of "90 days in any 180 days period". This means that the total duration of stay is of maximum 90 days, in any period of 180 days.Can I walk in for Schengen visa? ›
If you need to travel urgently, miss your pre-booked appointment, or simply cannot book an appointment at your preferred date and time, the Walk-in Without Appointment service, available for select countries, allows you to submit your visa application on a day you choose.
- Burkina Faso.
- Cabo Verde.
- Cook Islands.
- Ivory Coast.
France Visa Options for Nigerians
You can apply for a tourist visa, a business visa, or a Digital Nomad visa. While tourist and business visas allow you to stay in the country for 90 days, digital nomad visa permits holders to stay for more than 90 days.
If your reason for immigrating to Europe from Nigeria is for job employment, then Norway is another one of the easy European countries to immigrate to. It will interest you to know that Norway is a very peaceful country. This tells you that you won?t have to worry about your security.Which Schengen countries have embassies in Nigeria? ›
In Nigeria, there are 19 EU Member States that have a resident Embassy and Consulate; Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Spain, Slovakia, Sweden, Norway and Switzerland.Which European country is the closest to Nigeria? ›
1. Portugal. Distance from Lagos, Nigeria to Faro, Portugal: The total straight line flight distance from Lagos, Nigeria to Faro, Portugal is 2,217 miles. This is equivalent to 3 567 kilometers or 1,926 nautical miles.